[RC] [RC] colic/different food at rides - Karen

This is one thing that I have never been able to resolve. I know I don't do what the experts recommend. I will always, when given the choice -- feed my horses. Getting them to eat is the first priority. Of course, barring feeding them any feed that is bad or whatever. If I am at a ride and my horses are picking at their feed, I will do whatever it takes to get them to eat---even if it means borrowing food from somebody or taking them a long way out of camp to graze.

I cannot possibly feed my horses at home what they get fed at rides. I have enough trouble keeping weight off of them as it is. I also think that if I were to feed them at home what they eat at rides, even just for the week before the ride -- that I would be setting them up for metabolic problems (besides they would become extremely obese). I won't feed them grains or concentrates between rides, but they can have it all they want once the ride starts.

I still am keeping the majority of what they normally eat going into them -- hay and beet pulp. When I add plain oats, it goes into the beet pulp. When I add concentrates, like complete feeds or senior, it also goes mixed in with beet pulp. Except at lunch, then they will usually just get the oats or concentrates mixed with water and some elytes.

I really don't have a problem with my horse wanting to eat what Sue's horse has, and her horse wanting to eat what my horse has. They are eating, and that is what I consider to be the most important. Just that they are eating, and I don't particularly care what, tho I wouldn't let them graze for long in an alfalfa field, or clover or wild onions, or gulp down huge quantities of something.

Of course, now that I've said all of this I should have a vet on call at the next ride I go to, ready to treat a colic for sure. :+P

Karen
in NV