RE: [RC] Weather Change Colic - steph teeter

Again, the vets did not suspect either impaction or anterior enteritus
in any of the three horses. The horses initially refluxed between 3 and
5 gallons. The reflux diminished after the first tubing. All three
horses recovered after administration of fluids. It was a bit of a head
scratcher for the ride vets, and the vets at the clinic. The scary thing
is not really knowing what the 'cause' was, and therefore not knowing if
something coulda/shoulda been done differently. I guess that's the
nature of a tough sport though - not a lot of room for error.

I will say though, that the vets at the ride were very good, very quick
to react, and very supportive of a hasty exit to the nearest clinic. And
very quick to run a tube and check for reflux - and to empty the stomach
if necessary. We are learning some things...

Steph

First off, anterior enteritis is a metabolic issue rather than an
infection, so will not elevate the white count particularly.  But how
much reflux are we talking about, and did it go away promptly with the
administration of fluids?  The classical anterior enteritis cases are
more like what Howard describes, where the cellular fluid transfer in
the small intestine actually reverses, and the small intestine pulls
fluids OUT of the body as fast as you can put them in IV, so the reflux
is gallons and gallons.  If the reflux was not this copious and did not
particularly continue after the horses were rehydrated, then that would
be the indicator IMO that you were not dealing with anterior enteritis.

With regard to impaction, I would not expect a mass per se in such cases
that could be detected by palpation or ultrasound since the horses were
indeed exercising.  But I'd still say this is classic of impaction,
since the gut is apt to be dehydrated and shuts down as a result. >>