Re: [RC] [RC-Digest] Vol: 03.1904 Winter riding - Chipnml

I agree, 20 degrees is about my limit for riding, as long as there's good footing.  I splurged on a pair of the Irideon winter tights and I LOVE them.  They're waterproof and polar-fleece lined, and I wear a pair of long underwear with them.  I use insulated paddock boots with half chaps, although a set of shipping boots works great and are warmer!  I would rather blanket my horses in bad weather and give them more turn-out time.  If we're getting a lot of snow or if it's colder than single digits and/or windy I use a medium weight waterproof/breathable blanket.  Then they tromp around in the pasture digging for bits of grass.  I think it's healthier for them, and cuts down on my bedding costs and cleaning time.  Actually I only keep my 27-year-old in at night during the winter (goes out at 5am, comes in at 9pm), the others have a shed.  The only time I don't ride in the winter is when we get those stupid thaws where everything melts, then freezes and gets icy.

Chip