[RC] Colics - weather related - Magnumsmom

I've seen the exact same thing... about 3 horses at a ride
who got into a bit of trouble.  Not as serious as 2 days at
the vet hospital, but bad enough. They were not front
runners... all pulled mid ride.  One was a first loop RO pull
that still had some trouble.  Also, heard about two other
horses who had finished fine (top 10 I think) but who were
showing signs of colic post ride.  Person said they got them
to eat and drink and then the horses were fine.

Front came through, temp dropped about 20 degrees or
more from one day to the next.  Probably had a sharp
barometer drop as well, but I didn't have one of those
along.  :)  Vet's office said they had cases of colics from
horses standing in the pastures.

Perhaps, though, we as endurance riders should learn to
slow down a bit under weather conditions such as these.
I think the risks do go up.  Your horse might be fine, but
then again he might not be.  The hard part will be to
remember to slow down since everything else appears
to be normal.

Kathy Myers
in Santa Fe, NM