Re: [RC] [RC] complicated politics in Iraq and the carribean and 3rd world countries - Mary Ann Spencer

Well, Kelly,
The reality of our freedom in US is contingent on the military which relies on citiizen soldiers.  Those happen to be everyone's neighbors who have/had a life and then suddenly have to go elsewhere and do military duty.  One of the side effects is that one had a real life riding horses and trying to compete in endurance.  Then NO riding.  Seems to me that is an endurance type topic.  Maybe you have not had to make any such decisions.  Well, we are protecting your choice to not be military.  We have horses, dogs, kids, cats, trucks, horse trailers, etc and end up in a foreign country with none of our favorite things.  I had to reduce my horses and start over again.   If you can't tolerate that, just use your delete button.  Endurance riding started in the middle east and Iraq is known as the 'cradle of civilization'.  Horses have been an important part of their life.  Due to Saddam, the entire southern part was left with limited water and hence no way to keep large livestock.  What few horses were seen were very thin and had minimal muscles.  When Baghdad fell, horses were stolen, including the Arabian horses.  But then that is not anything you would have to deal with directly so guess it is not YOUR endurance topic.  A number of soldiers with horses in US were left with NO horses or anything related to it.  Enjoy the freedom of speech others have made sacrificed for.  Mary Ann
----- Original Message -----
From: Kelly Lane
Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 2004 12:13 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] complicated politics in Iraq and the carribean and 3rd world countries

Hi Mary Ann-

I can appreciate your passion for this subject and even more appreciate your service to this country. I suspect that ridecamp is as divided as this country on this issue and really is not the forum to talk about it. I read ridecamp to learn about endurance related topics and not hear political discourse. I am very politically aware and will support anyone's freedom to speak, even if that speech is not the way I feel. However, PLEASE keep this divisive, non-endurance related issue off ridecamp!

Respectfully,

Kelly Lane