[RC] Mare/confidence/rider safety/help - Long - Mel Copeland

My big plans for my Paso Fino mare have fallen through. I am still wanting to try for my first LD this spring. I want to do this this so badly that I am resorting to desperate measures. I pulled my 17 year old Arabian mare out of the pasture and rode her for the first time in 5 years. The last few times I had ridden her years ago she laid down with me and was rearing and tossing her head. She really scared me. I had been afraid to ride her since then. This weekend I decided that if I really want to get started with endurance I will just have to bite the bullet and start riding her again. In the past few years I have learned alot about saddle fit and realized that most of my problems with Lady were probably stemming from saddle fit. She is a very broad mare. She is about 9" wide at her withers. She has alot of substance and is a VERY easy keeper. I borrowed a friend's super wide western saddle and it seems to do the trick. I will continue to use the saddle for the time being partially because I feel more secure in it and also because I am saving my money for a treeless so this saddle will have to do in the meantime. Anyway, back to riding-

Besides looking very startled when I started saddling her, Lady took everything in stride. She even placed her head in the headstall for me when I held it out. She held still for me to get on and we walked around my small pasture, did some figure 8's and trotted just a bit. She was fine. At one point when I had gotten her close to the barn she started to fight me and was sidepassing down the hill. She slung her head and bounced a bit on the front end (never actually reared). We turned some fast tight circles and she was OK after that. All in all the ride was uneventful. This was a big confidence builder for me but I am still wary of Lady. When I used to ride her before she was prone to random, highly athletic spooks at mundane things like orange mailboxes. I have to ride by myself so I want to stay safe.

I am looking for some advice on directions I should go with Lady to get her ready for my goal of an LD ride in mid March. I do not have a trailer yet so I am limited to riding her on the farm. She is very out of shape, but also very tough and can take a lot. Are there some things I can do with her while riding her around the small pasture to get us both ready for riding farther away from the barn and other horses (out on the farm)? I don't want to get myself hurt, but I have confidence that this will work if I do things right. I am just not sure how hard to push Lady and what I can do to make us have a better working relationship. I am hoping to take her to a local fundraiser trailride on Nov. 13th just to see how she does with a crowd.

The other thing is that I would like to breed her next year for my "dream foal" I have the stallion picked out and have started stuffing money under the matress to pay for his fee. This will be her last foal so I don't want to mess anything up. What would be the optimum time to breed her next year, or does it matter since all I am wanting to do with her is LD for the time being?

Thanks in advance!

Mel