[RC] Dr. Miller and Early Gelding - Judie Ricci

I worked at the clinic that Dr. Miller( RMM)  founded in so. Ca . they do geld early on request,  and in fact assisted on the gelding one of  Dr. Millers very young  foals,  and many others that were under two months old.    One of the reasons for castrating a very young colt ,  is that it  is easier to lay them down,   and to recover them without injuries,  as you can practically pick them up ,and hold them in your arms while they wobble around,  the  surgery is quicker,  they heal well because they are following Mommies around ,  running and doing silly baby antics, and you don't have to go out and work them several times a day to keep the castration site from sealing , just check on them, to see that all is well, and you get them used to being hosed off at an early age,  and there is less bleeding as their veins are smaller, they don't develop the "attitude" some  colts get ,due to testoster one,  it can be difficult to get a vet to do early castration if they haven't done it before,  but as long as both "wallys" are down it can be done, and for the breeding farm you have a  gelding at weaning  which is usually easier to sell.  When I was in Alabama I had to talk a vet into castrating a mule colt early,  finally he agreed to do it and was pleased with the ease of the entire procedure,  he had been a little uncomfortable with the idea of castrating a 4 week colt.    we had no trouble with the surgerie site and he was easy to sell,  imprinted and gelded at 5 months!                                                               & nbsp;                                    Judie Ricci
Why Wait? Move to EarthLink.