Re: [RC] Mares as Riding Horses - MtnRondi

In a message dated 9/21/2004 11:19:23 AM Pacific Standard Time, heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Well, actually, I think mares are highly underrated, and make pretty
special riding horses as well

I have a beautiful book called "The Performance Horse, a Photographic Tribute". In the section on Polo Ponies is says:  "... in high-goal polo, mares are the preferred competition horse. We keep over a hundred head of horses in training for our team, and of those, six are geldings... when you have to 'go to the bottom' of your horse, mares have the heart to give their all. They'll go until they drop. A gelding knows how to protect himself better. It's harder to get him to give everything."

Then it goes on to say their are exceptions, of course.

Bonnie
So. Calif.