Re: [RC] Questiions about Gelding a Colt - melanie . o

I knew I'd get some flack for it, and by all means don't feel you have to agree with me.  I'm just a die-hard mare fan (and I know there are others out there--you know who you are) who has never met a gelding that did anything for me.  Someday that could change, but I've been around horses for a long time and it ain't happened yet. To me, mares have "personality" and geldings are just "there."   The real irony is that that colt I gave away is turning out to be a really nice horse and one that I may end up not only training, but competing on.  What a slap in the face, eh?

Interesting that you should think that gelding a colt will make him big, dumb, and dopey. I suppose it could happen, but the gelding I have now is absolutely bar-none, the smartest horse I have ever come in contact with. I once rode a mare, and I thought she was head and shoulders smarter than any gelding, but this one has them all beat. I'm afraid I don't agree with your opinion of geldings' intelligence.....
Barbara