Re: [RC] Questiions about Gelding a Colt - heidi

Interesting that you should think that gelding a colt will make him big,
dumb, and dopey.  I suppose it could happen, but the gelding I have now
is absolutely bar-none, the smartest horse I have ever come in contact
with.  I once rode a mare, and I thought she was head and shoulders
smarter than any gelding, but this one has them all beat.  I'm afraid I
don't agree with your opinion of geldings' intelligence.....

I have to agree with Barbara here.  "Horse IQ" is a very individual thing
and has little to do with gender.  About all that gelding does is take
away the urgency of the sex drive and the deviousness about how to
accomplish it.  Having always sold our geldings fairly young in the past,
having Michael Bowling's geldings here to ride has been a real pleasure.
They are smarter than whips as well, but it is so NICE to be able to lead
them down to the saddling area two at a time, or for one of us to be able
to take both of them together off to the camp water trough when we unload,
while the other one sets up their communal panel corral, etc., etc.  I've
campaigned stallions for years, and I do love my intact boys, but they are
a challenge.  One of the geldings I'm currently riding would probably make
it into "Horse Mensa" if there was such a thing--I can only imagine what
he'd be like with sex drive!  Scary thought...

Heidi