Sent: Saturday, September 18, 2004 10:40 AM
Subject: [RC] Barn/Fencing suggestions (long)

Well, it finally happened.  I was actually able to purchase some property and if all goes well, we'll be living on it within the year.  Since this is bare land, we'll be starting from scratch with house, barn, fencing, pasture, etc., and we want to do it "right."  So, I'm looking for input.  Here's the story.....

Located in N. Butte County CA, about 10 miles outside of Chico city limits and approximately 6 miles (with several turns) from the highway with numerous other properties and fences in between.  20 acres, flat open land (solar panels?).  No trees, large seasonal creek running along one edge, several smaller run off areas throughout the property.  This area was used to graze cattle on and the soil is pretty good for growing, but there is lava cap several feet down..  When the wind blows, it screams through here (windmill power?).  The summers are generally hot (90--100+) and the winters are cold and wet (the rain blows in sideways sometimes).  We get snow here about once every 5 years, but not enough to stick for a more than a day.  It generally does not get below freezing for more than a few days and that is only during the night time hours.  We are located at approximately 125' elevatio! n and the property sits on a very prolific aquifer (irrigation for a few acres).  Not in a flood zone and since there is no scrub, brush, or trees, fire danger is minimal ( grass fire would quickly burn past buildings as there will be no fuel for them)

3 horses now, but will probably increase to at least 5 by the time we're done.  I'm looking at getting a "pre-fab" type barn.  I'm thinking a shedrow would be the best for our situation, but I want the overhang to be enclosed for those times when the rain blows in sideways.  Concrete aisle, stem wall foundation, roadbase or similar under mats in the stalls.  Separate hay barn.  Comments??  Suggestions????

Fencing.  Normally, I would want "solid" fencing around the perimeter and do electric tape for the cross fencing.  I have always been fearful of them blowing through the tape and getting out onto a busy road.  Since we are so far from the highway, with several other properties and fences between, I'm thinking about doing electric tape all around.  Comments??  Suggestions???

I know it sounds like I'm moving to the Serengeti Plains, but the best part is that I'm only about 1 mile from the foothills across private land and into thousands of acres of private land.  The owner and I already have an agreement.  He told me where the access points are, but did not give me permission to ride there.  Therefore, if I choose to trespass and get hurt, I will have a harder time suing him.  ; )

 So, as you can see, I've got a lot of work cut out for me and would appreciate info. from any and all.  Who knows, maybe in a few years I can manage a ride right out the back of my property.  : )

abigail
Chico, CA