[RC] Obstacles Overcome - LaBrake, Denise A

Well, we made it on our first trail ride away from home. We've planned this
for sometime. what to do the day, night, and hours before.
Yep, the day finally arrived! Lace (my 10 year old green arab mare) and I
were about to encounter the outside world away from home and finally
discover the paths to our journey in life together.

Very special thanks to Dixie and Connie, for this making happen for us!!!
THANK YOU LADIES, we are SOOOOOOOOOOOOO grateful to you! We owe you big
time!!! Thanks also Elizabeth and Leslie for planning some time in the
future to ride with us.  We look so forward to it.

Also, special thanks to Susan for introducing me to Ridecamp, Tony for
connecting me to Susan, and for other riders such as Chris, Kristen,
Roxanne, Amy, Jo Anne, Jennifer and Robby for networking with us and
teaching us some of what we need to know to get involved in our favorite
sport. Thanks for introducing us to the distance riding clubs and riders
interested in the sport in our region. You all are awesome!!  Ridecamp has
opened up a whole new world of knowledge to me.

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU!!!!

More about our special day....

It took us about 15 minutes for Lace to load. She was so intrigued by
Cowboy, Dixie's very handsome half Arab gelding. She kept smelling and
breathing and stretching to reach him without stepping on the unfamiliar
rank of the trailer. She wanted on, you can tell, but so was very cautious
to if this gent was going to nice to her.

She stood nicely very alert to what I was telling, to what cowboy was doing,
and to everything outside the trailer as well. Once Dixie sealed up the
trailer all loaded, we were off!

I'm worked really hard through all of this to keep my fear down. I did not
want to spoil it for us. And, it worked. Once we arrived at Clark State
Forest, Lace backed out of the trailer like a pro, however, very interested
in where Cowboy would end up and, at the same wondering who the heck those
other horses were across the parking lot!! She did become a bit hot and wet
from nerves, but by the time we put the saddle on she was dry.

Lace was very studious and attentive. I can really feel the connection
between us before we mounted. She was okay with everything as long as I
encouraged her. Before we knew it, we were mounted and headed down the
trail.

She was very calm, cool, and collected. When times came up where she was
unsure, I can feel her respond instantly from my encouragement and it worked
every time!

Dixie and I tried to let the two to the smell noses, but, sure enough, Lace
(the normal mare I guess) let out a hooting squeal every time we tried it.
Cowboy just wanted to give out kisses!!! Gosh, what a gentleman he was.

The trails were great except we should of had some shoes one (my fault!)
Lace was doing a lot of tripping on them. We learn as we go ya know!

There was only one time wear I became uneasy on a trail up hill that Dixie
said was a more difficult one in the forest. I really did not know how we
would get through it but.... we did! Lace had more strength, natural
knowledge and power then I imagined.

The only other unexpected event was we discovered that Lace is a jumper. She
would rather jump then step over many obstacles where a step would be the
norm. I don't know if that is good or bad? I guess it's a new obstacle for
us to overcome. As long as I'm prepared I'm fine. But, I had no idea! Darn!
Nor did I expect it would feel like that, yikes! One time I felt like a
monkey climbing a tree just to stay on her. (I wish I had that on camera to
share that with the world, how ridiculous was I, LOL!)

I underestimated how we would do our first day only because I know how she
acts for when we turn around toward home. It is in front of a pasture of 10
Arabs. She throws a fit! And, it's actually been a very good schooling spot
for us. I expected her to be really uncontrollable once she was on the
ground that close to other horses. She was not that at all!!. She was a
lady!

Anyway, we completed our ride after 3 hours. Tacked off no problems, enjoy
treats and visiting a bit. Lace took about half the time to load the trailer
then she did at home.  A big accomplishment for not being trailered in 5
years!!!. We sealed up the truck and trailer and we were off towards home.

Once home Lace backed off the trailer very well and she was not hot at all
this time. She was trying to anticipate where she was when we opened the
trailer door...."are we home yet?" She did great!!

And, Dixie did an outstanding job making us feel comfortable and at ease.
Matter a fact she waited to tell me that this was her first experience
helping a new rider by herself. I am proud her and I would of never guessed.
She is very knowledge of the sport and the animals she loves. I am very
fortunate to have met her and I hope we can be long life trail pals.

Oh, and there is also one more special thanks that goes out to Tate! Dixie's
wonderful little pup that goes on the trails with us. He is awesome with the
horses and just loves the challenge keeping his pace between the hooves and
terrain. He is quiet the little expert! Thanks Tate for help keep Lace on
her toes!!! Makes me want to bring one of my Rotts on a trail ride, NOT!!!
Don't think I would have many riding friends if I brought one of them along.

Again, Thanks to all of you. Dixie again, thank you for making our day just
as we dreamed and hoped it would be!! It is a blessing meeting you all. And,
I hope to meet many many more of you at the rides and when we enter our
first distances ride.

Take care.

Denise LaBrake
Simpsonville KY