[RC] more odd, obscure questions. - Karen Sullivan

Am wondering the current thinking and science on picking up a digital pulse in the pastern of a horse.  I know a pounding digital pulse is often a sign of laminitis......but what about a very slight one?  Does this vary from horse to horse.....?  I did a fairly long ride on hard ground yesterday on my mare....this morning picked up a very, very slight digital pulse in both front pasterns......so then went to check other two mares that had been walking around the front pasture.  Darned if I couldnt' pick up the about the same on them.  Had also checked two horses my friend owns this morning that were just standing eating...could not feel anything.  Can the vets and farriers comment?  How many folks check for digital pulse on any kind of regular basis when checking legs after a hard ride??

Also.....for folks that are buying off the track Arabs for endurance horses; I am wondering how much legging up they actually have....are they just breezed (cantered) and galloped? Do they do any trotting?  What would be the time frame for getting one leggged up on hills and rough terrain?

Thanks, Karen