[RC] [RC] Questiions about Gelding a Colt - Beth Bennett - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Nat Neslon circlenat@xxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

You must all ways remember and NEVER forget that ALL stallions are potentially
dangerous! It does not matter if they are gentle as a kitten, they are driven
by testostrone that can alter their behavior without warning. I stand three
stallions myself and each one is different - one with a very mild temperment to
one that is a little hard to handle (I had one that was down right dangerous -
but he's gelded now!) I treat them all the same, and know how to restrain them
effectively by what ever means necessary. Bottom line an individual
unexperienced in handling a stallion shouldn't be at the end of the lead shank!

If you are thinking of keeping your colt intact I highly recommend you to visit
a breeding facility and observe and ask questions of their stallion handlers.
Learn how to control a stallion and what to do incase of misbehavior.

Then if you do chose to keep him intact then you will have to promote him
inorder to let mare owners he is available for breeding. Advertising in local
horse publications run from $50 to $500 a month depending on the size, color
and format of the add - national publications are in the MUCH more! If you want
to attract the quality mares (kinda of waste if you breed mares lower quality
than your stallion) then you would have to show him - which means you would
have to send him to a trainer which will run $500 to $1000 per month. THEN of
course it would be a waste of spending the money for training if you don't show
him which an average breed show can cost you $100 to $1000 (or MORE) depending
on cost of stalls, trainer fees and class fees.

Then there is the issue of housing. A stallion needs to be confined seperately
from your mares. The enclosure needs to be tall enough and secure enough to
keep him inside it. No matter how secure, stallions seem to scheme on how to
escape. I had a two year old stud colt get out of his pen, jump a mare's pen
and bred her - luckily she was one of mine! If she wasn't I'd be liable!

Great stallions make AWESOME geldings! and they are WAY more fun!!!

Nat Nelson
Buckeye, AZ