Re: [RC] Questiions about Gelding a Colt - heidi

I need some good concrete reasons to use to support my argument that if
we're going to geld we should do it early.  If my thinking is skewed I
welcome all opinions, especially from any vets.

The big question is . . . do we really want to geld at all?

What Lif said.  And what Sandy said.

And in addition to that--

1.  With early gelding, you will get better growth and better manners.
And the surgery will be less stressful to him.  If his testicles have gone
back up, you may have to wait until spring--but personally, I wouldn't
wait a minute longer!  If they have stayed down, do him while he is still
on mom--they bounce back immediately if they can just get up from
anesthesia and go find the dinner faucet for comfort.

2.  I think Sandy or Lif mentioned it, but if his testicles are down, he
can breed his mother possibly as early as 8 months.  Be ready to separate
them before that, or geld him before that.

3.  Even the nicest of stallions would probably be happier as a gelding,
unless you are in a situation where you can run him out "naturally" with
another horse.  Horses are herd animals, and having to be separated from
others is a stress.

4.  No matter how nice the mare and how nice the sire, and no matter how
nice the colt, is the pedigree an outcross pedigree?  If so, he will not
be a consistent producer.  Outcrosses make wonderful riding geldings, but
do not make particularly good breeding stock, in general.  (Yes, you can
find exceptions--but they are just that.)

5.  No matter how nice he is, are YOU prepared to be a breeder?  The odds
of getting very many outside breedings are not good, even with campaigning
and advertising.  It is a major hassle to stand a stallion, and unless YOU
personally want to put together a breeding program and devote a lot of
time, energy, and effort to it, and plan on producing foals of your own by
this colt at some point, it just isn't worth the hassle.

6.  Horses are not people.  Too many people (particularly men, but not
always!) think of their own sexuality when they think of gelding colts.
Don't make the mistake of anthropomorphizing--nature is brutal to
stallions, and geldings generally lead FAR happier lives.

Heidi