[RC] truck stops vs rest stops - Jonni Jewell

Becky posted : >>>In the past two months, I bet we've stopped at two dozen
truck stops. At each one, there was a place way out back where we could
quietly unload and graze with no problems. Much safer than a rest area where
you can't get away from the noise, traffic and in-and-out mayhem.<<<

This is what I have found also Becky. But I am thinking that maybe there are
some regional differences in the truck stops. The ones in more metro areas
often do not have that "extra" parking out back, that is sometimes a large
dirt area beyond the pavement. Land is a premium in many areas, and other
businesses often back right up next to the truck stops parking area. Thus,
these truck stops are often more congested. But traveling highways such as
I-40 or I-80 through the western part of the US, where there is more open
space, it is very easy  to find that nice quiet corner out back, that is
away from all the traffic, and you are often pretty much all alone. Let's
face it. If a truck driver is stopping at a truck stop, they often do NOT
want to walk a long ways to go inside, so those spots at the outer edges are
usually not occupied by trucks. I never had any trouble finding dirt areas
to park and unload in the rural areas of the western US.  And I have just
not traveled the eastern US, so can not comment, but my guess is I would
find areas I felt safe to park and unload.

BTW, for those that do not know. All Wal-Marts allow RV's to park over
night. Of course, you would not want to unload your horse in their parking
lot, but they are often a great alternative to parking to take a nap, or
even sleep the whole night. They are easy access to get in and out of,
usually right off the highway, have good lighting, and if it is a Super
Wal-Mart, they are open all night so you can grab a few items if needed.
Camping World stores also allow overnight parking.

And if anyone is traveling I-40 between OK and AZ, and wants to know good
places to pull over for awhile, I can give you a list.  I have my "regular"
stops when I travel that route, including a spot next to a Truck Wash in
Albuquerque, where you can get water, to a dirt area under some cliffs at
the NM AZ border where you can also go buy Indian jewelry and Mexican
blankets!

Jonni in TX