[RC] people safety vs horse safety vs rest stops vs truck stops - Mary Ann Spencer

1.  There is inherant danger working with horses.
2.  There is danger driving any vehicle.
3.  Combine the two and it all goes up exponentially.
4.  Safety is something to be practiced EVERYWHERE.
5.  This thread started as safety for horses, not humans.
6.  Rest stops I have been resting at have security nowadays-as compared to I-5 back in the 60s.
7.  If one is a female traveling alone, one has to be more aware of one's surrounding.  A few yrs back there was heavy discussion on ridecamp about carrying a weapon.
8.  Follow your own instincts if you have them, some people just don't, and if it is scarry then there may be a good reason.  Guess I am not so worried about my safety as  I am not a young female.   I don't get any 'glances'.
9.  I personally find truck stops extremely noisey and more so than the rest stops.  one can be attacked at the mall as well as anywhere else.  This is the luck of the draw.
10.  We all take chances, so need to calculate the risk factors.
11.  I never HAD to shoot my weapon in Iraq but would if I had to.  Same holds for here in USA.

"We pays our money and takes our chances!"    My father used to say that a lot and it is pretty true.

Object of our equestrian life game is to keep the cards in our favor.   We don't know the our future but can learn from our past and other's mistakes.. hence the written word.
                                                          Mary Ann