[RC] Scurfing *not* caused by girthss?? - sherman

That's very interesting, Angie. About 3 weeks ago my hubby rode his horse, Storm, on a "conditioning ride" and after the ride Storm's sides, under the saddle skirt & fenders, & girth area was sore, 1st time ever since we had him, but it was my hubby's 1st conditioning ride, so I thought 50% more weight on the horse caused problem. Later the skin swelled, got pink, then flaked off. I did notice that his winter coat was coming in strong.  It cleared up & I rode Storm on a 50 2 weeks ago, same thing happened, not quite as bad, but skin flaked all over his sides & girth, and he is constantly biting at the area. I wondered if it were due to the change in coat, but it didn't happen last year, so I thought maybe fungus. I've never had this happen before with any horse. I hope it is just a change of season event. I have been & still use a Toklat fleece girth, & alternate between a Woolback & a Coolback pad.
Kathy
Grass Valley, CA