[RC] trailering, unloading, rest stops, truck stops, shavings, Oh my - Jonni Jewell

When you haul your horses use COMMON  sense for YOUR situation and YOUR
horses folks. There is no one absolutely hard and fast, works for all horses
and owners method for hauling these animals.  The best thing is to know your
horse, and what you feel will work best for it, and your situation and set
up. If you are at ALL uncomfortable about unloading them while in transit,
then you probably shouldn't. If you want to unload, but are not comfortable
with the location, find one you are comfortable with. If you worry about
shavings blowing around in the trailer, find something else, wet them down,
or don't use them.  If you are not sure if you should tie them or leave them
untied, then really look at your trailer set up, and decide if it is safer
one way other the other, weigh out the different reasons folks have for what
THEY do, and do what you feel is best for YOUR horses.

Some folks like to have pre-arranged lay over locations when traveling a
long distance, that they can 'stable' the horse for the night. Others, like
myself, just wing it, never do over night stabling, and just stop at rest
stops (or in my case usually truck stops) and unload and tie to the trailer
for awhile while I crawl into my camper to sleep a little, then be on my
way. If I don't like the spot for safety, I leave them in the trailer. But
if you worry about unloading a horse where there are "moving vehicles", then
you could sure avoid a lot of ride camps.  I've been to rides where camp was
near highways, train tracks, and even one this summer that was walking
distance to downtown AND next to a highway.  Just use common sense with how
you secure your animals for the night, and if you are uncomfortable, stick
them in the trailer!

So, for you newbies to trailering, weigh the different opinions, and do what
you feel will work best for you. What works for me, might not work for you.
I really enjoy traveling with the horses. I almost find them easier to
travel with than a dog. The horse can potty while we are going down the
road. Oh, that is if they are "willing" to pee in the trailer.....

Jonni (about matching Laura in travel mileage with the horses this
summer....I logged 7200 miles on the truck and trailer)