[RC] shoeing/trimming philosphies - Mary Ann Spencer

Darolyn Butler has gone 'barefoot' almost 100%.  I do not shoe but have not been riding rocky areas.  I stayed in NC for a yr and the horses just got tough hooves.  Hoof needs to follow the natural angle of the fetlock.  There is a big website devoted to all this.  Someone in CO has been going barefoot for yrs with his packing team for commercial packing into the mountains.

I rarely use nippers, mostly file.  Keep a good depth at the heel and keep the toes from being too long.  I never cut out the frog but trim any ragged edges.  I have not had the time, etc to know if I can do more than 3 fifty milers in a yr with my method as work and other things keep interfering.   You will get LOTS of different philosophies.  Get a book or two and search the net.  I use www.dogpile.com to my search engine.   Good luck.
                                Mary Ann