[RC] hauling horses long distance to unload or not to unload - Judie Ricci

all this talk about hauling and unloading at rest stops, I had to add my 2cents worth:  some rest stops no longer allow the unloading of "live stock" ,     we have traveled quite far  with our horses and mules  over the years, to Endurance rides, being re located from So.Ca. to Al. from Al. to N. VA.  and we do not unload.  Our choice,   We have a comfortable slant load trailer ,  put down hay and shavings to soak up the pee, and have not had any problems ,  when we moved from So. Ca. to Al. our longest day was 18hrs. driving through Texas,  it was an awfully long time,   but the horses all did fine. we did not unload , we stayed at a  veterinarians house, he said they all were in great shape, at that time we had a 4 horse stock and the three horse slant LQ.   we do stop and water and let them stand and rest , they will get at least a one hour break  if we travel far,   like to the Big South Fork ri de  that was 12 hours ,and I did both days of the 50 with my horse.  we like to arrive a day early so the animals can move around and get used to the new ride camp, and we can rest ,    We horse owners all have the "choice"  of unloading ,  or not,  personally  none of our horses or mules have any problem peeing in the trailer,  they are good about drinking and eating, are all good to load and unload, we just prefer to let them rest inside the trailer,  we drop the head windows, when stopped, so  they can reach around and visit and they do rest, they have not had any obvious troubles , and arrive at the ride or home bright and alert.  Every time someone stops their trailer, to fuel up , or go eat ,or whatever ,it is a break in the motion , and the horses can rest.   IT is a personal choice, my horses are always willing to get in,  so I don't think it is cruel, not unloading,  I just do not think it is necessary,  for mine, but if som eone is more comfortable unloading, and they can do it safely, have at it ,  just be sure the rest stop allows it. What is important is that your horses are safe, and comfortable, and you have peace of mind , regardless of what anyone else does .

Judie Ricci
Why Wait? Move to EarthLink.