[RC] Horse Behavior -- Trying to Interpret - Val Nicoson

My mare is at the very bottom of the pecking order.
So much so she wouldn't seek shelter so now she is in
a separate pasture with one older gelding.  Just the
two of them and they are happy together.
Friend and I went riding the other day near the barn.
On our way back she decided to handwalk her horse but
I continued to ride at a walk.  Eventually I ponied
her horse which was a neat experience (he knows how
and my mare is good).
Well, every time he started to get his nose at or just
forward of my left leg...my mare would pin her ears,
turn her head and neck while still walking forward,
and open her mouth at him showing her teeth.  He
eventually got the message and stayed in his place
behind my leg.
Pondered this behavior since and didn't think much
more about it until....
We went on a ride with two friends the other day.  All
of us stayed in the saddle.  My friend's gelding
pretty much stayed in the lead.  My mare and I would
travel in second/third place depending on what we
wanted to do.  Finally I decided to pass the slower
rider (she has a big QH) and as we went by, with the
QH challenging her slightly for position (wide trail),
that she did the same thing to him...ears pinned,
turned her head+neck to the right (this time) and
opened her mouth showing her teeth.
Now...because all three of us happen to know my mare
and her passive nature and low herd rank...we all just
let it go more-or-less.  In fact we kinda laugh about
it because it is sooo unlike her.  Granted, if we were
with strange horses/riders who didn't know her she'd
be watched more closely.  But this is really a "good
thing" for her...she's behaving more like a horse like
she ought to.
But can anyone explain or tell me just what she is
attempting to do...or tell the other horses?  Is she
showing a wee bit of being a mare or challenging her
status or what?
Thanks for any insight you can provide me,
Val + Sania (who me??)

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail