Re: [RC] elevator rides..why they went away - Truman Prevatt

You can still run an elevator ride starting the LD's an hour later. It just means that someone that elevates from the LD only has 11 hours to finish. That being said if 11 hours is not enought, I doubt the horse is ready for a 50.

A ride has to be sanctioned as an elevator when it is sanctioned. If there isn't a demand the RM has no reason to sanction it as such. Like everything else I suspect it gets back to demand. There doesn't seem to be much demand for them. In most rides that are elevator not many people elevate. In many no one elevates.

If it is an elevator ride the RM loses his/her flexibilty to start the LD and longer rides on different loops or different trails to keep the crowding down on the trails.When you have a big ride being able to do this makes flow management much easier. It means the RM has to make provisions for the logistics for those that want to elevate. Unless there is a demand or a RM just wants to run one "just in case" they won't be sanctioned.

If a rider thinks they want to do a 50 but aren't sure you/your horse are ready, just enter anyway. You can always pull if things don't look good. There is no disgrace in that.

Truman

Jonni Jewell wrote:
Do you think that elevator rides for the most part went away, because ride
management like to start the different mileage groups, at different start
times, so all the riders do not hit the vet checks at once??? If it is an
elevator ride, doesn't the different distances have to all start together,
so if someone wants to elevate from say, the 25, to the 50, they are on the
same time schedule as the 50 mile riders?

I remember when I started this sport in the early 80's, it seemed that all
distances DID start at the same time. Maybe it was because they had fewer
riders, so the vet check impact was not as bad as it could be on the larger
rides these days.

Just pondering.........

Jonni

--
"It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis

   "It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis.

    It is necessary to be exalted, and yet take modesty as a foundation."