RE: [RC] [RC] [RC] how to subscribe to Tome Ivers list? - heidi

The big deal over Bill Proctor and his endurance record was all about
carbo  loading.  Bill was promoting Tom's product.  I would love to see
more  discussion about the carbo loading because I do believe it's being
used and  some would say (besides Tom or Bill) that it does have merit.

Well, um, sort of.  Yes, that was what Bill and Tom were trying to
promote.  But the "big deal" about it was that it was that Bill's story
was a fabrication.  If you are going to try to sell me something, for gosh
sakes, at least have the courtesy and the smarts to cite REAL events and
REAL research, instead of making up a pie-in-the-sky "success" story.

Is it a forbidden subject in the endurace world (that sure shouldn't
stop a  discussion of it on Ridecamp), or, has it come and gone, over
time?  I  really don't know but would love to hear from others on this
one.

Nope, hardly a forbidden subject.  It was Tom himself that made it a "hot
button" thing, as several other folks (notably SuG, but also Sarah Ralston
and several others) discussed it sanely and rationally, and talked about
horses with different abilities to handle carbs, how carbs are utilized,
why they can be used in certain ways and not in others, what the role of
the hindgut is and how carbs affect that, etc.  A great many people were
willing to discuss carbs as a part of the whole "big picture" but kept
coming back to exactly that--looking at the entire horse.  Tom was the
lone standout who kept insisting on the extreme, and refusing to look at
how the rest of the digestive system worked.

Heidi