[RC] [RC] Bask line as endurance horse? - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Nicole z_arabs@xxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I looked up his pedigree and he has a lot of Bask in his bloodlines and I
was wondering if anyone has had experience with the bask line as endurance
horses.He is not registered as yet but his dam is CM Tango Bey # 566372 ,
sire Mark IV Challenger #199957 for those of you who like to look things
up.<<

I'm not at home with my access to my CD, so I can't comment on
the dam's pedigree, although the name makes me think she's got
Bey el Bay back there?  But thru whom?

Mark IV Challenger is/was a *Bask son, right?  And, I think he was
out of a more traditionally American-bred mare: CMK & *Witez II,
good working stock like that.  Most of *Bask's best offspring
were out of CMK mares.

Anyway, even if you have multiple crosses to *Bask in a pedigree,
there are still lots of other horses in there.  A pedigree is not
just picking a name or two that you recognize.  It's the blend
of all the horses, and then the individual standing in front of
you is the most important aspect -- they may or may not reflect
their pedigree or they may reflect some individual(s) that you
are not familiar with at all.

So, that all said, *Bask was an English/Park horse.  He himself
was a darn good horse compared to many today.  While I don't
get excited about him in a pedigree (many people do), I don't
get turned off by him either (unlike some other horses).

I will note that I had a *Bask granddaugher, and her brain worked
differently from my other horses.  She was very hot, but she was
always very controlled.  Felt like a stick of dynamite, but she
never tested her limits.  Interesting, but very different from
the more mellow CMK horses I have.  Now, *Bask was not the only
individual in her pedigree, and a couple other horses in there
also had a rep for being hot, so I will never know where she got
that particular trait.  Her daughter, a paternal half-sib to
several of my others, takes after her much more than she takes
after her sire's side, although she's mellower than her dam.

He's 14.3 hands now but will grow a bit, all black feet, sane, sound and at
a good price. I'm new at endurance and I'm looking for all the input I can
get before starting a second horse as my backup.<<

If he's sane, sound, well-built and you like him, he sounds like
a good prospect. :)  At the risk of being misinterpretted, the
pedigree is not a blueprint of what you'll get.  It's a starting
point, but not the be-all-and-end-all.  Pedigree IS important.
But it's only one part of the puzzle. :)

~Nicole