[RC] Injecting hocks - Susan Young

Hello all y'all!

I've had a first yesterday.  My 16 year old endurance gelding was refusing to put much weight on his left hind.  The ankle had filling but there was no heat.  He was sound on the straight out and back but I didn't trot him in a circle (I don't know why...I just didn't).

The vet said at his age, it's a dry socket and he injected "that stuff" into the joint.  The vet was a little surprised that I'd not already been injecting the joint since I've used the horse so much and the horse is getting a little age on him.

Question:  What are the AERC rules pertaining to injecting the joints?  Should I retire the horse?  Does he need a lighter rider instead of my big-ole self?  (currently a heavy HW; at best, a heavy MW)

Thank you in advance for your comments.

Susan [Young], The Wicked Princess of Pink
Semper Obliquo (Always aside)

Glenndale Grace Farm, Ft Gibson, Oklahoma U.S.A.

"Ride on! Rough-shod if need be, smooth-shod if that will do, but ride on! Ride on over all obstacles, and win the race!" - Charles Dickens (1812-1870)