Re: [RC] [RC] tom ivers - heidi

Actually, Lynne, Tom did pay up on that bet he made reference Bill
Proctor.   I'm not sure if Tom admitted publicly that he was wrong
there, but, he did  pay up on his bet.

No, he never did admit that Proctor was a fraud, despite mounds and mounds
of evidence.  But yes, I think he did finally pay up.  The Proctor fraud
was the thing that really tipped the scales for me--I don't mind the
occasional passionate dispute either, but from what those researching the
Proctor fraud could gather, it sure appeared that not only did Tom likely
KNOW this was a fraud, but that he was likely providing Bill with the
information to post.  That was about the only part that was never actually
proven, but one lady in Colorado was carefully keeping track of Tom's
posts and Bill's posts, and cross-referencing them, and looking at the
computer tags (or whatever you call that stuff on them), etc.  It is
pretty hard to give credibility to a guy who has to go to such lengths to
"manufacture the science" so to speak, and who then tries to bluff his way
out of it with huge monetary bets.  I'm sure glad someone called his
bluff.

Bottom line--for those who don't know what this was about, there was this
guy who kept posting about his fabulous wins, and his training schedule,
and all this marvelous stuff, complete with all sorts of numbers (working
HRs, recovery rates, glucose readings, I can't remember what-all).
Somebody noticed that none of the ride results included this guy on the
weekends that he had allegedly raced.  That was brought up.  Tom got nasty
about it, and started betting huge sums of money that what he was saying
was true, and saying that if no one would take his bets, then it was
"obvious" that everybody was just jealous and picking on Proctor.  So
somebody who DID have $1000 in cash sitting around finally DID put it up.
More research happened.  Tom claimed that these "wins" were at rides that
were non-AERC rides, because there were so many people fed up with AERC
that they had their own "shadow" organization and were running rides of
much higher caliber.  They produced a "ride manager" who, when questioned,
couldn't even come up with the same ride dates that Proctor had allegedly
ridden, and who didn't even know precisely where the rides had been held.
He said he thought one was in such-and-such a town in Texas--turned out
that town was in Alabama...  Didn't have a clue when asked such simple
questions as how many vet checks, etc.  The person in charge of the
fact-finding (an actual neighbor of Proctor's) repeatedly asked for the
name of a ride vet (ANY ride vet) who might have vetted one of these
mystery rides.  No vet was ever named.  Interestingly enough, when the
heat was on, the illustrious career of this rider and his horse ended
abruptly in a "trailer accident."  The intrepid investigator was able to
photograph Proctor's same truck and trailer alive and well in his driveway
shortly afterward.  She had also been driving by and keeping track of his
horse, who was fat, fuzzy, and clearly not being ridden.  But the final
bullet was that she was eventually able to talk directly to the man's
wife, who told her point-blank that the whole thing was just a computer
prank that went too far.

So much for the scientific integrity of Mr. Ivers.

Heidi