[RC] "fleabitten" - MarisR

My new distance horse is a 10 year old grey Arab gelding, who spent the last 7 years in an indoor arena, doing upper level dressage.  Physically he's making the transition really well.  Mentally, we have some work to do, living outside and riding down real trails.
He has been living with me since April, in sunny Florida.  When he came to me, his coat was an unblemished white/grey, wxcpet for a couple of small scars.  In the past few weeks, he's started developing small brown spots over his hip, rump, face and neck.
So the question is this.  Why do horses become 'fleabitten"  is it like freckels in humans, related to overexposure to the sun?  Anyone know?
Thanks

Maris Ramsay

horses--the anti-drug