[RC] The End of the World, Final - Howard Bramhall

These slow moving hurricanes have a tendency to wear one down. There were moments of weakness, times of depression. It wasn?t till Monday, Labor Day itself, when the winds subsided, still blowing, but definitely not as bad. I had no electric, no water and the power company told me it would be another week or so. Rural areas such as mine receive low priority.

One of my neighbors had a generator and I was able to get water to the horses from their tank. I had let the horses out of their stalls sometime on Sunday. Nobody was limping, no cuts and, after tentatively walking out of their stalls, they eventually started trotting around all the newly formed lakes in the back pasture. Each of the six horses looked pretty good, considering. It did my heart wonders to see this.

The puppies fared very well. The most difficult thing, during the storm, was getting them to pee and poop. Ruff was almost oblivious to the storm as I took him outside using a horse leather rein as his leash. I stayed next to the wind-protected side of the house while he walked around, in the wind, trying to pee. This incredible dog did not even notice the 70-mph winds blowing around him. I love this guy.

Diamond was another story. I had to carry her outside and, the first time I did this, during hurricane winds, she became airborne. I held onto the leash, for dear life (hers), and yelled out at her, ?Pee in the air, Diamond, pee in the air.? This poor, insecure creature might not ever be the same after that experience.

My mother in law was still in the hospital but scheduled to be released on Wednesday. Aunt Julie had missed her previously scheduled flight back home to California but was re-set to go on Friday. I doubt if she'll ever be back to Florida during hurricane season no matter how many limbs her mom breaks. I only wished she would take mother in law with her, but, that was not going to be happening. Mother in law seems to still love Florida. Go figure.

On Tuesday, the day after Labor Day, the FED EX guy drove down my driveway. I got out of the motor home hoping he had for me and mine what we all needed. He did. It was the closing papers for our property in Tennessee. We had been having so many problems closing on this place, ex wife of the owner lived in Germany and wasn't easy to find, a reluctant personal financer who took their time with giving the Title Company some pay off figures, that sort of thing. But, now, this was it, and in a few days the place would be ours.

The address is Marshall Drive (don?t have a house number yet cause there?s no house), Bybee, Tennessee 37713. I?ll be up there building a barn real soon. The barn will come first, because, in my delusional, whacko world, horses receive top billing and they always will. Ya?ll come see me real soon.

The End (about time)

cya,
Howard (got the electric back last nite making it 7 days without power, a personal record)