[RC] BSF 2004, Part 2 of 3 - April

At 7, the pack headed out for a controlled start for about 100 feet down the
pavement and then off to the trails. I waited for about 3 minutes. Tanna was
remarkably calm. He was being very good and stood still while Daniel fiddled
with the GPS. Then we started. I managed to keep Tanna to a walk for quite
awhile. He was alert and realized we were at a "race" (he is much more
competitive than I am), but was obedient.

After awhile, I asked for a trot and got a forward, pulling trot. I quickly
caught up with some riders. I followed them for awhile before getting fed up
with Tanna pulling to tailgate. There wasn't really a good place to pass, so I
spun him in a quick circle and hopped off as he was facing away from the horses
we'd been following. He seemed surprised and calmed down. I walked for awhile,
letting the riders pull away from us, but aware there were some behind us, too.
A couple of riders, Holly and Jessie from SC, came up behind me and remarked
that Tanna seemed calm now. I dryly commented, "I wish I could ride the horse I
lead." They pulled away and after a few minutes I decided they might be good to
ride with for awhile, so remounted. Tanna immediately started off at a full
trot. Urgh, gotta get my foot in the stirrup, horse! At least he stood long
enough for me to get in the saddle.

I stayed with Holly and Jessie for a while until I went in the lead and slowly
out-distanced them until I realized I was riding alone again. I rode with them
periodically throughout the 20 mile loop as they caught up with me when I
paused for various reasons.

We were again riding together when we got to the road that the vet check was
on. As we contemplated which direction to go (I was unsure if the vet check was
in the same place as last year...should have asked that at the ride meeting),
some other riders came up on us. In a group of 10 horses, Tanna was impossible.
He was getting very strong and acting up. I hopped off and jogged and walked
with him into the vet check.

Just as we approached the in-timer, Daniel drove in with our truck. Perfect
timing. :-) The vet check was full, but Daniel found a place to park while I
unsuccessfully offered Tanna water from the common troughs. Tanna was down to
58, so we stripped his tack, sponged him, offered water, and took him to vet
in. This time there were a few marks against him for dehydration. Little wonder
since he wasn't drinking.

Back to the truck for eating, drinking, and resting. Course, Tanna didn't
drink. I debated dosing him with more electrolytes and finally decided to.

On a happy note, Tanna did eat at the vet check! He's had a problem eating at
the first vet check and eating poorly at the second vet check. He ate some hay,
some apples, some beet pulp. I had been giving him Fastrack probiotics and I
was pleased with the results.

Back out on the trail for the second 20 mile loop. Man, those loops are killer.
I'd completed the first loop in about 3 hours and 45 minutes. Right on target
for my 9 hour planned ride time. I planned to do the second loop in the same
amount of time as the first loop. I ended up riding alone for much of the
second loop. Passing and being passed by the same people. I had heard there was
a stretch of gravel road that I thought would slow me down, so I pushed Tanna
at the beginning of the loop to try to make up time so I'd still make my 3:45
ride time for the loop. I never found the slow down I was expecting, so ended
up doing that loop in around 3:25.

Five miles into the second loop, we crossed a decently deep creek and Tanna
drank deeply! Yeah. Drinking at mile 25 still isn't the best in my opinion, but
he drank several more times in that loop and I was happy that he was finally
drinking. At Hoosier Daddy, it took 30-something miles before he drank.

I also began sponging on the fly at a walk. I've been sponging from a stand
still during training up to this point. But I'd begun to snap the sponge back
to my hand in one smooth motion, so Tanna was used to the sponge flying past
his face back to my hand. On this ride, I decided I wanted to take advantage of
some of the puddles, but didn't want to stop. So I walked past the puddles,
dropped the sponge in and snapped it up while continuing to walk on. I even
progressed to trotting up to the puddle, walking while getting the sponge wet,
and then trotting on while squeezing the water on. I'm just a beginner (nowhere
close to Angie, the mistress of sponging on the fly), but that was quite fun to
do and saved some time.

The 2nd vet check was in camp and I was glad to be there. While sponging off
before the vet check, I noticed Tanna acting a little ouchy on his back. The
vet didn't find anything, so I thought maybe it was just I used the sweat
scraper a bit roughly. At this check, Tanna weighed 758. He'd lost 50 pounds
from Thursday arrival to the second vet check. He vetted through with all As
and back at camp, I turned him into his pen to eat, drink and rest while I sat
in a chair and did the same. I began to catalog all my hurts and dreaded going
back out. But the last loop was only 10 miles. I can stand anything for 10
miles, right? I do this for fun, right?

(to be continued)

April
Nashville, TN