[RC] BSF 2004, Part 1 of 3 - April

Big South Fork was a quick trip for us this year. We spent 3.5 hours hauling
Thursday morning to arrive in ridecamp at around 11:30 AM. There weren't a ton
of people there, yet. Daniel scouted the "small rig" field and chose our
camping spot. I took Tanna to weigh in to avoid watching him pull the trailer
through the slightly muddy field with our ancient camper on our dually truck.

Tanna weighed 808 pounds! That is the most he has ever weighed. Guess that oil
in his food is really packing on the weight. I was surprised and threatened to
put him on a diet.

Back at camp, I settled Tanna in his metal corral pen and contemplated lunch.
Daniel and I both agreed we were tired so spent a couple hours napping in lieu
of lunch. It was a good choice, if a hard one. :-)

At 4 PM, we hiked over to the visitor's center to buy ice, only to discover it
had closed at 4. Just our luck, Good thing I'd put in lots of frozen water
bottles. On the way back, we stopped to check in and get my rider pack. The map
was on the back of my vet card on waterproof paper. Good idea on both counts!
After the ride, my vet card didn't look nearly as bedraggled as normal. I also
received a ride evaluation form that was my meal ticket for Friday and a arm
band to put vital statistics on in case of an emergency.

Tanna vetted in calmly. All As with a couple minuses thrown in for variety.

Back to camp for supper and pre-ride preparations. Then over to the ride
meeting. While waiting for the meeting to start, I visited with Teddy to chat
about the Bosana boots and to buy several more syringes. Dosing electrolytes
and probiotics uses a lot of syringes when preloading all the doses I'd need
through the ride. :-)

Daniel and I took one of our cats with us. A pretty little Siamese cat that has
to have medicine twice a day, Sib is a very well-mannered and calm cat
considering all the activity she was exposed to. That is probably due to
missing a few brain cells, but it makes her very easy to take to a ride. This
was Sib's first ride and we were unsure of her reaction, but she handled it
well. She was a hit at the ride meeting and we had lots of people comment on
her calmness and many had to come pet her.

The ride meeting started with a welcome by new ride manager Eric Rueter. Kudos
to him for putting on this ride! We were afraid we were going to lose this
great ride after the Isaacs decided they did not want to put it on anymore, but
Eric and his wife, Nelia, stepped up to the plate and delivered a great ride
(with lots of input from the Isaacs, he said).

One of the BSF rangers, Christy, gave a quick talk welcoming us to the park and
sharing where the nearest gas was, what the trails were like, and generally
just had a good chat. Otis gave his normal speech. No cell phones in the vet
area (you know who you are!), goal of NO treated horses, pulse of 64, 50 minute
holds, tack off.

The trail maps were discussed. They seemed quite confusing while I was sitting
there at the ride meeting, but once I got on the trails, most everything became
clear. I seem to have that condition at most rides. :-)

Back to the trailer and last minute preparations. I took Tanna for a walk and
then retired to bed.

At 2 AM, I woke up and thought it was time to get up. It obviously wasn't, but
since I was awake, I slipped out and checked on Tanna. I was concerned that he
had not been drinking. He still hadn't drunk from his water bucket. Maybe a sip
or two, but no noticeable difference in the water level. I took him for a walk
to the common water troughs by the vet in area. I spent several minutes forcing
him to play in the water, but he never drank. I let him nose around looking for
good grass for awhile.

As I hung out there, I heard a horse or two galloping in the short rig field.
Quite obviously loose from their pen. I went back to the water troughs and
tried again to get Tanna to drink. I listened for hoof beats, but heard no
more. The horses must have turned toward the woods or stopped because I never
heard them on the pavement. Somebody approached me and Tanna, I think it was
Betsy, but since it was dark and I was blind, I wasn't sure. Anyway, she made
sure there was somebody with Tanna and we talked about the loose horses for a
minute before I headed back to my trailer.

Back in bed and awake at 4 AM. Still had an hour before time to get up, so I
slept on and off until the alarms began ringing in the camper. We had set no
fewer than 3 different electronic devices to go off at 5 AM. Can you tell I'm
paranoid about getting up on time? :-)

Up, dressed, food ready and too hot to eat. Took Tanna over to weigh him. 808.
Lost 4 pounds overnight. He still wasn't drinking. :-( Back to eat my food. The
coffee was disgusting, the oatmeal pasty and the fake meat hot dogs had a weird
taste. I managed to choke down the oatmeal and that was it. Out to saddle in
the dark. Finally mounted at 6:40. Start was at 7.

Tanna did not throw me off (he likes to blow up in the first 30 seconds of
mounting) and I counted my lucky stars, thanked God, and warmed him up at a
walk. I gave my number to Nancy, got the official ride time and set my watch.
Back and forth to warm up. I was a little chilly in a short sleeve shirt, but
knew I'd warm up and regret having a jacket to mess with so ignored the chill.
Tanna was sporting a butt rug for the start, though. Just as a precaution. I
figured I would roll it up when we got going good and once I didn't feel chilly
anymore.

(to be continued)

April
Nashville, TN