[RC] Mustangs, endurance, trainablity, etc. - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Char char.antuzzi@xxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Well,
I too was under the impression of what a mustang was, wasn't,
what they looked like, health, etc. I rode and trained arabs for
years (still do). I rode roping horses for years, big butt
Quarter horses, to me a good horse is a good horse. To me a
horse that can get out of the box quick and rate a fast steer
is just as great as one that can finish an endurance ride.
The horse that scored wonderful dressage marks is a great
horse. No matter what the breed!

This past April I was sent a big mustang blm adopted stud for
training, riding, etc. Oh, great I thought, just what I need,
a wild mustang and stud at that, just what I needed in my barn.
Let me tell you what.. Not only is this horse one of the
kindest, sweetest horses I've ever had the honor (yes honor!)
of getting to know and love, but he is one of the nicest put
together horses I've ever seen. No matter where I take this
horse people say, naaa thats not a mustang. I have to make them
look at the brand on his neck to prove it! He is a stallion on
top of it and no one knows he's a stud. You can't believe the
mind this horse has on him.

In the few months I've had this horse, he's gone from a Western
Pleasure winner, to placing in a gymkahanna, carrying me across
this years Tevis finish line, all be it, 18 min past that darn
cut off, and last weekend he dug deep in that hot sun and got
me through the Camp Far West 50. This horse is so versitile,
tuff, giving, loving, smart. No matter what you throw at him he
does it! I think people have an idea of what the mustang looks
like and what they can do and are capable of doing.

Yes some of them are crap but there is crap in every breed.
Sure the arabs are going to have a lot more endurance ride
completions on the ride records, thats a no brainer there are
more people riding arabs in this sport then mustangs. So of
course more arabs are going to complete rides. Yes, the arab
was bred in the desert and will always be the horse that most
people associate with endurance. But don't dis-count mustangs
and endurance or any other sport for that matter.

Ed is correct, the ones that are out there on the endurance
circuit just go and go and go. You want names, fine. Robin
Hood, Sir Kai, Ed's George, Mustang Lady.  Go look em up on the
aerc web site. I am sure I am missing names, but they're out
there.

There is no guarantee on any horse period. Sure blood lines can
tell you a lot, sure the past health records are important but
give the mustang a chance, you won't be sorry!

On the other hand, just like some people have no business owning
an Arab, there are some people out there that shouldn't own or
train a mustang. These horses are smart, they have instints that
run deep, they have survival on their mind. Some people are just
plain "mustang challenged" and its better they stay off the
horses and write more on ridecamp!