[RC] Things I learned...part 2 - Laura Hayes

Sorry I cut off the rest of this post...sleep deprivation and a nasty layer of dirt have clouded my mind!!  I have since taken a bath and left a gross ring around the tub....hope the maid doesn't call in sick tomorrow....

5.   You can fit a Sommer Oakfield and an equipedic pad in a dufflebag, but with 10 days worth of clothes and other gear - it costs an extra $25 to check through baggage.  I needed to put them in two bags.  Knowing this, I carried the Equipedic (it was the 4 lbs I was overwt) through three flights on the way home.  You get large amount of room to yourself when you carry a saddle pad that was on a horse for 100 miles...

6.  Again I am absolutely awed by the time and effort that go into providing 5 days of trail and all the other organization for these rides

7.  A jog bra CAN grow into your skin after a few days.

8.  I learned that I want to run for AERC Director at Large to help preserve and protect the way we ALL want to ride, whether it be LD, 50 milers, FEI, historic 100 milers, or multidays.  They are all different, but all belong in this organization.  We need to work together to insure that every endurance rider has the ability to enjoy this sport at their own level.

9.  There is not enough chapstick in the west to keep my lips from cracking....what do you girls do out there all the time?

10.  Most of all, I learned that riding such incredible animals through such beautiful country is a privilege, not a right.  We must be ever mindful of the way we treat the trail, the horse and the people who make it possible, because if the ability to do it ever went away, we would lose more than just another ride- we would lose an important part of ourselves.

Ever learning...Laura Hayes AERC#2741