[RC] pros and cons of wild horses (was buying on a budget) - Campbell, David

Title: pros and cons of wild horses (was buying on a budget)

I agree with Ed.

Adopting a wild horse is not for everyone, just like owning a horse is not for everyone. Just because someone owns a horse, doesn’t make them a horse person.

My wife and I are now on our 6th mustang. We still own 5 of them. 3 of them are stallions. My first mustang (King Lears Ranger) was my first horse I ever owned. Lucky for me, my wife has been in endurance and CTR’s for years before we adopted Ranger. Ranger and my wife taught me plenty about horses. Ranger is still a stallion; none of these 3 stallions have ever given me a reason to geld them, even though we also have 4 mares. Ranger was gentled in a month, taken to a local Feeders Supply store (went inside the store) to have his picture taken with Santa after being out of the wild for 6 months, and he was trail riding the following spring (he won the Ohio stallion endurance award his first season) but he is a yard ornament now, he really doesn’t like going down the trail. Phooka was a 6 year old stallion when we got him, gentled in one week (yes, one week) and riding on trail in less than 4 months. I haven’t competed him because I have been competing our Anglo Arab mare and my wife is still competing her 22 year old Arab who won’t quite. We have a 6 year old mustang mare we got when she was 4, she did take longer to gentle but she is now like a little puppy dog now and follows me around wanting brushed and attention. Ed you keep adopting those mustangs and so will we (as soon as I can talk my wife into selling her Arabs J). You can still view some pictures of our mustangs at www.mustangs-r-us.freeservers.com/photo.html. Next time we are in Florida, I want to go by Eds place and see his mustangs.

Ed if you ever come up to the Chicken Chase, Top-of-the-Rock, or Spook Run rides, let me know, we can talk mustang. Later.

David L. Campbell

MCSE, A+, Net+, ASIT

Network Technician

Sullivan University