Re: [RC] NSH Horses & Saddlebreds in Endurance - SandyDSA

In a message dated 9/6/2004 5:02:18 AM Pacific Standard Time, mkrumlaw@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
a good horse is a good horse regardless of the breeding
Absolutely - and actually, a NSH (Arab/Saddlebred) who has not suffered the breeding fad of the 90's and on is something of an athlete.  But a good horse may be a good horse for something else - as in, a good Friesian is likely not a good endurance horse but a GREAT driving horse. Breed absolutely does play a part in whether or not a horse can be successful in any given discipline. However, there are other breeds that can and do compete and complete in endurance and CTR - but the statistics bear out the act that Arabians are simply the best at the sport, by nature of their breeding history. I just wouldn't choose a draft horse to do endurance any more than I would choose my 14.1 Arabian to do 3 Day - she could DO it - but not competitively enough to be worth the risk to her person.s