Re: [RC] NSH in endurance/CTR - firedancefarms

Nancy,
We train endurance horses and raise Straight Russian Arabians.  I never considered a NSH (or half Arab/some saddlebred), but then we happened to buy one that was FABULOUS!  My daughter won the 1/2 Reg 8 AHA endurance ride with her last year.  This mare was so wonderful we decided to get some more!  At the moment we have five, and they are all built quite differently, but they do have several things in common:
The saddlebred/Arab cross has several things we have found to be wonderful, including very fast walks, trotting like the wind, smooth slow canters, and NO SPOOKS!  They are truely FUN  TO RIDE!  They also are very friendly.
Some are fine boned, some big boned.  I have not found crooked legs to be characteristic at all.  Some are very smart, some are rather ditzy.  Some are high headed, some are very hunter type.  We have one that looks like a gorgeous TB, one that looks like a purebred Arab, one that looks half draft, one that looks like an appendix QH.  They do tend to have longer backs than a purebred Arab.  A saddlebred breeder told me that is characteristic of the breed, and it is never a problem, and I have found that they never have back problems, even with heavyweights.

We just got back from the CO horse park challenge where I was reserve AHA champion by beating my daughter in a trotting race to the finish.  Both of us were on Saddlebred/Arab crosses.  I thought we'd have a slower time pulsing in  on the cross, but we have come into the vet check with no waiting at all in our last three rides; passing several people.  But the placing is not the point...I think we finished the ride in 8 hours...the point is we HAD A BLAST on those horses!

I believe there were 9 half arabians in the AHA part of the ride.  There was a pinto behind us that might have had saddlebred in him  as well.  I do not know about first place; maybe she will write in and tell us what her horse was.  There are quite a few saddlebred crosses in endurance.

As for sweepstakes, right now they combine the 1/2 Arab and purebred into a top five, so 1/2 arabs often have quite a disadvantage.  I do not know about the first place 1/2 arab in this ride, but as reserve champ, we did not get into the sweeps $, nor would my daughter have last year as champ.  I am hoping we can work on this by persuading AHA to award prize $$ in both divisions.

Oh, sorry, I'm off on another subject for another time...
If you would like to see photos of several different NSH crosses, check out our webpage...
Louise
Louise Burton
Firedance Farms Endurance Arabians
http://pages.prodigy.net/firedancefarms