[RC] American/Egyptian Riders Cooperative - Maryanne Stroud Gabbani

It's the end of summer here and people are coming back from their vacations, so the Friday Morning Gang got together today for its first ride of the season. And a lovely ride it was, since the weather this summer has actually been bearable for the most part. We had the inevitable sunshine with big fluffy white clouds and clear skies. Our summers are the lay-off time, sort of like your winters. I mainly ride at night during summer so fall is wonderful for me and time to get back to work for the horses.

Sabrine Kharma was bubbling with stories about her crewing experience at Tevis this year with Jeremy Reynolds. She and her mother opted for that as a summer holiday and what a way to do it. Nothing but the winner of Tevis!!! Sabrine was really impressed with the caring and helpful manners at the vet checks. At a serious race here, no one would think of asking a competitor for a bucket of water even, but there, she said, everyone was helping everyone else. Nevertheless, she was amazed at the speed with which a crew could strip a horse of tack and have it pass the vet check. She listed off names of people that she met and talked to, and said that the knowledge among the riders was outstanding. Some people "would answer your questions with a book of information", which impressed her no end. She said that she really liked talking to Becky Hart, though, because when she asked her a question, Becky just gave a short clear answer, and that "was just the right amount of information" for Sabrine to absorb. You all got rave reviews, guys, and it's another example of the wonder of the endurance family world wide. I expect to find her signing on to Ridecamp sometime soon as well.

There's been some talk of an Egyptian stopover after the WEC in Dubai in January. Apparently the Reynolds' are talking about it, maybe Becky Hart, Paddi has mentioned wanting to come, and the Hall family (Anne and Hal) have been in contact with me. The FMG are delighted with the idea of having visitors again and I would suggest that if there are going to be people coming, please let us know as soon as possible. We have the Sakkara Country Club and Hotel just down the road from all of us (simple rooms, cable TV, phones, and a pool, run by a show jumper) where the room rate is somewhere around USD 30 per night. Each room has a double bed and a sofa that can do for a single. My suggestion is that if we know that X number of people are coming after the WEC, we can block book the rooms. They have about 25 rooms, and I doubt that we'd need them all but it's better to be sure. Also, EERA will want to do some rides while visitors are here and, as Steph and Co. know from last Feb, getting things organised takes a little time.

Get those reservations in, folks.

I also have a daughter going back to Columbia University in Manhattan tonight after a nice summer break in the menagerie. (She's the one that likes animals!) She's studying biological anthropology at Columbia with an eye to working on old bones here, but she'd like to learn more veterinary skills. She's been my veterinary right hand since she was about 6, handling equids, dogs, birds, rabbits, you name it. I suggested that she try to get to some of the rides to work as a vet recorder or assistant and she thought that would be a great idea. She wants to learn the kind of vet work that we often have to do here because you just can't get a vet when you need them, ie, sort of first aid without technological back-up. She's not an experienced camper but would love to learn. She's a good cook, has a great sense of humour, likes horses, loves donkeys, and speaks 5 languages including Arabic, Spanish, French, Italian, and naturally English. She's an inexperienced rider, just rides here some when she's home, but she's really good with horses and not at all afraid to handle them. She did a lot of butt-marking our first couple of years of endurance here until she went away to college....and marking butts on Egyptian horses can be pretty exciting. If any of you are anywhere near the NYC area and would like to break in a volunteer, her email is yde2001@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Her name is Yasmine Gabbani and she is a darling but she has no car.

Maryanne Stroud Gabbani
Cairo, Egypt
www.alsorat.com

"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for" Louis L'Amour