Re: [RC] The Eye of the Storm - Truman Prevatt

You forgot wild fires, drought, floods, blizzards, killer heat waves and killer cold waves, crazed people running around with with guns or flying airplanes into buildings killing other people, and all the rest mother nature and mankind can dish out. I've lived in tornado alley and I've lived in FL for some years now. The "midwestern" tornado I think is the most impressive. It can take a half mile swath for miles - and pulverize everything and everybody in its path. We have them down here and they have them in the middle atlantic but they are puny little suckers compared to those full grown tornados they get in the alley.

There were 27 dead from Charley three weeks ago. There have been tornados that have killed 100's of people. So I don't like any of them and it looks like I'm going to be the exit point of this current storm but we are ready and it's pretty slow moving so it will be pretty well beat up and disorganized by the time it gets here. I could change course by a few degrees and we wouldn't see anything - only time will tell.

For those folks at the entry point - this is a big one and big slow moving one and where it will enter is wet and flat so flooding will be a real problem and 120 knot winds are nothing to sneeze at. Howard was going to come over - bring his horses and stay at my place. At that time "ground zero" was his house. He was going to buy all the beer and promised to vote for the man I told him to.  Turns out that it is going to hit far enought south of him that he's not worried.

The atlantic hurricanes are mean storms but they don't even come close to the pacific typhoons For a lot of reasons hurricanes don't get much higher wind speeds of 125 knots then they start to feed on themselves. But the western pacific and Indian Ocean typhoons can pack winds of  180 knots (about 200 mph) and sustain them. Those are truly awesome. If you know any sailors that have been in the pacific ask them what they are like.

While you have to respect them you have to admire them. The ability of form a hurricane - to form a system so very organized from pretty much nothing is impressive.

We have plenty of water - water tanks in the back of the truck for to fill the horse water if the electricity goes off. We have food and we are used to 60- 80 mph winds from out normal summer thunderstorms. We have plenty of beer and wine so we will be fine.

As far as earthquakes - you can have em. I like to be able to see what is going to try to kill me days ahead so I can flip him the bird when he fails ;-)!

Truman

Barbara McCrary wrote:
And I've heard people say they wouldn't live in California because of "those
awful earthquakes!"
At least they don't happen every year like clockwork.  But they do take one
by surprise when they do happen.  I'll still take them instead of hurricanes
and tornados.

Barbara

--
"It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis

   "It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis.

    It is necessary to be exalted, and yet take modesty as a foundation."