Re: [RC] fractured splint bone - rides2far

Or has> anyone had success or problems with a splint removal on a
standing
horse?  I know I'm leaning toward the safest (expensive) surgery,
but my> husband does want to make sure we've checked out the other
options
thoroughly enough that we are not senselessly wasting money.

The horse I'm competing this fall had splint surgery. My friend (Dave
Bennett) purchased him as a 5 year old and he already had a large
lump/splint on his left fore. Dave bought him to be his backup  horse and
our whole crowd did rides on him at one time or another. He completed 4
50's I think before he had a pull for LF. (the leg with the splint) Then
a girl took him on a lease/option to buy for 6 mo. got him in decent
shape and he had 3 straight top 10's before a pull for LF. Vet looked it
over like yours did, recommended x-rays and saw that there were 2 chunks
that hadn't fused or whatever and were aggravating the ligament. They did
surgery, laid him down out in the grass at the clinic I think. Seems like
they said it was around $800 and that was 1997 or so. The horse came back
100%. He had a pull his next time out but it was a cramp caused by her
riding him after he'd gotten a leg caught in barbed wire the week before.
Compensatory. She started having some personal stuff (divorce) and didn't
train much so his later rides were slower but it had nothing to do with
the horse. As near as I can tell he's never had any more trouble from the
splint, though the lump is as big as ever.  I did 50 on him 2 weeks ago
and plan to do BSF next week. He's 15.

By the way, I had a horse fracture a rear splint and watched the surgery
done on the table. It went on *forever* and there was an amazing amount
of work involved. Can't imagine that one being done standing up. Don't
know if the first one I described was that involved. I think that one
cost me $800 around 1992.

Angie

Get your name as your email address.