[RC] Traffic Training - Val Nicoson

Lots of very good ideas out there Belinda.  I'll just
add my 2 cents worth for what its worth.
My mare was about a year older than yours when I first
got her and we used to be at a boarding stable.  There
was a long driveway and a field along an occasional
busy road.  I was usually the only one to venture
forth and ride away from the arenas ;-)
After developing a nice relationship we then did alot
of handwalking up/down the driveway to the road, along
the field on the field side of the ditch furthering
our mutual trust.
Finally we started walking on the road side of the
ditch and graduated to alongside the road...all while
handwalking.  Meanwhile she was also worked under
saddle in the arenas, pasture and barn areas...again
developing trust.
Now here's where it gets different...at least in our
case.  Having had a bad experience with a previous
horse it took me a little while to trust this mare (my
first mare at that too)...so I had gone to a halter
with a lunge line with a mild nose chain (thicker
chain = milder on the nose).  I believe a rope halter
would be work well too.  While doing our handwalking
alongside the road this is what we went with.  She
only shied a couple times but with the lunge line she
was "allowed" room to shy a bit before she was brought
up short...always with my being aware how much traffic
there was.  If there was alot of traffic we avoided
the road but still worked in the nearby
field...otherwise with an occasional vehicle it was
ideal.  But with the lunge line use...and she was
never allowed full length of it by any means...she saw
that I was never phased with the traffic and I think
she saw that and quickly realized there was nothing
much to fear.
When we started riding along the road I had my husband
follow us in the car.  The first time she bolted and
brought under control.  The next time we attempted it
she was much, much better.  After that we went by
ourselves for a long time and I stayed observant of
the types of vehicles.
It took her longer to deal with milk trucks, semis and
the like.  I would simply stay alert and dismount and
lead her when those went by.  Nowadays she can deal
with even those much better...maturity does wonders
:-)
Now bicycles are another matter!  Especially when a
group of them (20-30+) are along the road!  That's
another story though ;-)  But she's slowly gotten
better with them too.
Good luck with your horse.  Take your time, develop
that mutual trust...it goes faster than you realize
:-)
Val + Sania

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail