Re: [RC] [RC] stallion question - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Nicole z_arabs@xxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

He KICKS... Like if I load another horse next to him in the two
horse he goes crazy kicking then settles down.  On the trail he
is perfect riding with other horses etc but if they crowed him
from behind he kicks.  Is this normal stallion behavior or what.
I get on him for it but I am wondering if he will get over it or
will always do this.

Sounds like he just needs miles and exposure.  Kicking other horses
is generally considered to be a "mare thing" vs striking being a
"stallion thing," but neither one should be acceptable behavior
under saddle or at any time when *you* are in the vicinity and
nominally "in charge" of the situation. :)

That said, I'd recommend both red & yellow ribbons in his tail
whenever you're out where other horses could come into contact
with him.  Don't want an incident with a stranger.

My stallion is 15 and has been a breeding stallion and nothing
else until I got him this year.  He's now happily under saddle
and loves going out on the trails.  However, he has some ingrained
behavior to get over: namely, he likes to talk.  He's never been
told not to talk to other horses, so this is a whole new thing
to him.  He's getting better and better.  And he's a gentleman in
every other way (just as an FYI, he doesn't mind at all if the
horses we're riding with [all geldings so far] bump into him and
he can bump into them, too, from all sides).  He just likes to
talk when he sees new horses.  It's an issue, and one that will
keep him out of competition until he gets over it, since it shows
he's not focused on me, yet, and not ready for anything more.

Good luck!

~Nicole