Re: [RC] Losing the Same Shoe - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Tess Searcy morabs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I too used to have this problem when I first started my Thoroughbred Sailor.
He came off of the track so was a bit one sided & his shoulder on the left was
built up more than the right.  He is slightly club footed on the right front as
well.  He was 5 when I got him & it took about 3 years to build him up on the
right side & to build up the muscles in the hind quarters.  He would mostly
pull his right front shoe in the mud.  I watched him on video during a trot out
& I could see that his right front club foot did not rise as high as the left
front.  So in the mud it would slow the foot's flight path even more & then the
back foot would come up & pull the shoe off because his front foot was not out
of the way.  He is big strided as well.  What has worked for me is the time
spent to build up his muscles to carry himself, dubbing the rear toes & my
farrier has to make the shoe fit his foot exactly (no expansion edge) anything
extra on the edge he will pull that shoe off today.  Once we had him built up &
shod this way he hardly ever pulls a shoe now unless he is traveling too fast
in a deep mud hole.

I had tried aluminum shoes in front, steel behind this didn't work either.  We
now use steel all the way around.  I also pull his shoes in the late fall & he
goes barefoot during the winter.  I have had to use the Easy Boots when he
pulls a shoe but he never pulls a boot off.

Hope this helps you some.  Maybe have some one video tape her feet at all gaits
to see what she is actually doing with them.  The light bulb went off when I
saw Sailor's tape.