Re: [RC] Circulation to the hoof - heidi

Heidi, does any of this make sense??!!  I hope I am explaining it
right......

Well, yes, to a degree.  The key word is balance.  Too many horses DO run
under at the heels and have too much toe--in which case, one must
encourage the heels and get the toe back where it belongs to achieve what
is balanced for that horse.  By the same token, as you said, it makes no
sense to "back the foot up" (whacking off the toe and having TOO much
heel) PAST the point of good balance, either.  The foot should be such
that P3 is a logical extension of P1 and P2, not rotated forward (long
toe, low heel) or rotated back and down (short toe, long heel).

The bruising behind the toe is a pretty individual thing.  On most horses
with well-balanced feet, the shoe in a normal position will be a bit ahead
of where the edge of the coffin bone sits, but will be close enough that
only the really odd rock can reach up in there and bruise.  I agree with
your farrier with regard to the packing--for horses with pathologically
thin soles, it is likely a good thing, but it isn't needed in a healthy
foot.  I'm leery of anything that covers too much of the sole--one, it can
trap moisture and encourage anaerobic bacterial growth, and two, it cuts
down on the horse's natural "feel" of the ground.  I do compromise the
"feel" in extremely rocky conditions when EasyBoots over shoes provide
extra protection--but I don't like to lose that "feel" (which is one of
the reasons why I prefer shoes to boots in the first place) in normal
everyday riding.

Jonni's point is well-taken with regard to why don't we see more pathology
in shod horses.  In truth, most of the pathology we see in shod horses is
a result of inactivity, or BAD shoeing, or both.  In properly shod horses,
we see no particular gait alterations, etc. when shoes are removed--the
only thing we see is that the wear will once again exceed the growth if
the horse is put to hard use.

Heidi