Re: [RC] Circulation to the hoof - Karen Sullivan

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jonni Jewell" <jonnij@xxxxxxxx>

There are just TOO many horses out there who have always worn shoes, ALL
their lives, who are older, that are sound, with GREAT feet. Sorry, the
theory just doesn't work for me. Show me some solid documented facts that
horses who wear shoes all the time have reduced circulation and blood flow
to the feet.  The proof I have that properly applied shoes are NOT doing
this, is too darn many horses out there wearing them, who are sound as ever,
with great feet.

Jonni

*I am going to add a few things here my farrier threw out yesterday when he
shod.
First of all, we went to Natural Balance shoes on my 5 year old who had been
a tad
lazy, has low foot movement and had been tripping some.  With two sets of
Natural Balance
shoes she is moving so much better and not tripping at all.  We also are
observing that by
setting that shoe back where it should be (and these are designed to be set
back behind the
toe, but have the nail holes in the right place), you have the added benefit
of a wider toe and
more protection to the front part of the hoof.  With standard shoes, and
riding on our hard
ground, we had seen some traces of bruising when we removed the shoes and
trimmed, in
the toe region.  This is all now gone.

My shoer says the singlemost worst thing he sees in our neck of the
woods...has been this
reversed trend to take back the toe, and leave the heel too high.  Remember
the trend, especially
in QH, to whacking off the heels and leaving a long toe.....?  We see the
reverse now, with horses
with the toes back far...but 2 inch heels; looks like the horses are on
stilts.  Yes, my farrier does take
back the toe....he also takes off some of the heel!!! When he is done the
foot looks BALANCED, with
shoe under the heel, heels backed up.....and shoe to the sides.

Anyway, we were talking about this new trend also to fill the foot with
vetec or equithane.  He said some
horses are so thin soled the end of the coffin bone is only  1/4" from the
sole.  He said in these cases,  this
type of packing can work very, very well.  A friend currently has vetec on
her QH mare, who had soles worn
down very thin, and the horse is now moving very comfortable over hard roads
and rocks (which is all we have
to ride on!).

In talking to my shoer about the need for this product on my horses, he said
he didn't think so...that they all had
good, thick soles and a good shoeing job should protect the food.  He also
felt that the way we are shoeing with
the Natural Balance shoes, is protecting that part of the sole under the
coffin bone....it is covered, so will not
bruise on rocks.....

Heidi, does any of this make sense??!!  I hope I am explaining it
right......

Yes, I worry about concussion with my horses with steel shoes....still
interested in other materials, etc....