[RC] barefoot and circulation - Candace Kahn

     From what I have been reading it is not disputed that the hoof acts as a heart-supporting circulatory pump.  By being flexible (expanding on weightbearing, narrowing during non-weightbearing) the hoof capsule acts as a circulatory pump in the area of the corium, supporting the heart with each step by helping move the blood from the far end of the extremities back up the leg to the body.  So what happens when a shoe is nailed onto this foot?  Once a shoe is nailed to the hoof, the hoof mechanism is largely disabled.  Normal expansion is no longer possible as the shoe has been put on when the hoof is non-weightbearing and in its narrowest state.  So when weightbearing only a slight amount of movement is allowed in the shod foot.  This leads to decreased circulation and reduced bloodflow within the hoof.
     Having said that, I will make a disclaimer.  While I am an advocate of the "barefoot movement" I am not preaching nor  judging anyone that chooses to shoe and don't want to get into any big debate.  I did want to make sure that the above information was understood.

Candace Kahn
Naturally Bare Hoof Care
New and improved Boa Boots are here!!
authorized dealer of Boa Hoof Boots, Barefoot Treeless Saddles,
Supracor and Equipedic Saddle Pads, Best Friends Grazing Muzzle
Painted Sky Ranch
PO Box 639
Jacksonville, OR 97530
541-899-0149; 541-899-0150