[RC] Our Two Puppies, Part Three (man, here he goes again) - Howard Bramhall

We went up to the counter to apply for our two puppies. The woman?s name was Connie and she seemed very nice. Erica spoke first, asking about Diamond and the lady went and retrieved Diamond?s paperwork. Connie told my wife that the dog needed to be neutered and would be ready in a few days after the operation. They talked some more, an agreement was reached, and then Connie focused on me. I told her I wanted to get Timmy, the Rotweiler cross.

Well, it seems as if Rotweilers are in a special breed section with special requirements generating separate paperwork. The Humane Society had to check me out to make sure I wasn?t going to use Timmy for anything devious like eating small children or attacking people I didn?t get along with. I started to tell Connie of some of the problems I have had, on occasion, with a few here on Ridecamp, but, thought this might be one of those times I needed to keep my mouth shut. I promised Connie that I would not use Timmy to take out anyone on Ridecamp who disagreed with me, slandered my reputation (Erica laughed when I said that one), or even if they made threatening gestures in my direction. Actually, I believed Timmy would never hurt a flea, no matter what I told him to do.

I found some of the paperwork I had to fill out for the Humane Society, because Timmy was part Rotweiler, a little humorous. On this one form they actually asked if I had ever been arrested. That song, from another time and another place in my life, ?Alice?s Restaurant,? started playing in my head. I used to know the entire thing and considered writing it down as an answer to that question. Surely, the Humane Society would see the humor, but, since I really wanted this dog, I omitted Arlo Guthrie?s hilarious tale. ?You can get anything you want at Alice?s Restaurant.? I just wanted my dog.

I had to put down some references, someone who would lie and say that I didn?t have a temper and would never kill anyone, no matter what they ever said or did to me, with this dog. I put down Truman and Jim Holland. They only required two references, if a third was needed I was either going to add Jerry Fruth (truth be told, I wasn?t a 100 per cent sure of Jerry), or, my wife?s good friend who is also a Reverend and a shrink, who sometimes asks me how my therapy is going (I was relieved to notice that nowhere on the form did it ask if I was in therapy). I was taking no chances here. And, there really is no connection between Jerry and the shrink. If anyone is thinking that, I?d like to clear that one up immediately. Lol.

Well, a day or two later they phoned Erica. Diamond has had her surgery and the woman said, "You can pick her up after 4 PM today." I received no call. The wife asked about Timmy, but, the person she was speaking with didn?t know (it wasn?t Connie). I started to worry.

?Have you ever been arrested?? I answered no, but there was this one time, when I was in college up in Penn State, 34 years ago...., but, hey, that was before there were computers and the Air Force never found about it, so, is the Humane Society?s investigative team better than the Air Force?s? Man, I hoped not.

I guess you could say I was worried. I really wanted this dog. Someone had taken him before me from the Humane Society but, they had brought him back within the 2 month period where you can do that. Seems as if ole Timmy was a bit too much for this young couple. I knew I would never bring him back. His rep as a rottweiler was undeserved; this was an incredibly gentle, but, mobile, healthy animal that needed someone. Dog?s, like this, do need a human to bond with and I planned on being that bondee. I needed this dog as much as he needed me. Focusing on Timmy, during this time, did one good thing for me. It got me away from dwelling on my loss of Taffy. I needed, and, wanted, Timmy badly.

Tell me when to stop. lol

Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today - it's FREE! hthttp://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/