[RC] Shoeing options? - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Tracy Scheinkman arabs4sprt@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi, Everybody,  I'm riding one of my horses, an 8 year old Arabian mare, on
trails, a few times a week, with 12 hour turnout every day on rocky gritty
Arizona dirt.  She's got TERRIFIC feet!  I mean this girl has the best feet of
any of my horses.  BUT I live in Arizona and our ground is like sand paper, the
hoof growth just can't keep up with the wear, sometimes during the summer rains
we have to limit turnout to let them catch up on their hoof growth.  I LOVE her
feet and would hate to mess them up with regular steel shoes, no matter how
well installed.  Unfortunately I've read the veterinary articles about how
regular shoes just don't allow for enough hoof flexion and therefore impede
circulation.  And, well, her feet are SO good ... anyhow I've been thinking
about options for her and these are some of the ones I'm thinking about:  go
without just don't ride her when she's worn down (least favorite), Easy Boots
(problems include keeping them on, slippery on hills with gravel and sand over
hard base, did this before and that's my experience), Ground Control shoes
(haven't tried these before but one thing that may make recommendations easier
is that I'm not doing endurance riding just trail riding.  Distances for me can
be up to 15 miles in one day, but mostly it's around 2 or 3 or 4.

Also one other thing I'd like to hear from people about is how to shoe for
terrain that includes lots of slick rock, I'm talking about Sedona, AZ for
those who've been there and ridden in the red rocks.  I have property there and
I'd like to take a horse up there for riding sometime in the future.  What kind
of shoes or alternative would be best for riding on mixed dirt and large areas
of slick granite?

Tracy Scheinkman
Misty Mountain Arabian Sport Horses
Tucson, AZ