[RC] Our Two Puppies, Part Two - Howard Bramhall

After a couple of weeks, my wife, daughter, and I started talking about getting another dog. Erica and I were pretty much set on going to the Humane Society. Even though all their dogs are neutered and you really don?t know exactly what you may be getting (not too many purebreds at the Humane Society). The bottom line at the Humane Society is that you will be saving a dog?s life. You ever feel a need to feel good about yourself and who you are, go to the Humane Society and pick up one of their dogs. The trip just might change your life.

My wife and I had even thought about getting two. One, she picks out, and I pick out another, since Erica and I seem to be more different in what we like than similar (18 years of marraige had been enough time for the two of us to have figured this out). Hopefully, Jen, the kid, would agree on both of them. Yea, we even considered getting three if Jen made a big deal about our decision.

So, three weeks after Taffy was put down, to the Humane Animal shelter my wife and I did travel. The place was huge. I did notice no horses were there, which is a good thing, for me anyway. I?m a sucker for a horse who has no home or is about to lose the one they do have. This is one of the reasons why we now have six horses.

There were hundreds of dogs and cats everywhere. And, then, we found the puppy section. Oh, my. Puppies. Little, itty bitty puppies, and, aren?t they just the cutest things you ever did see. My wife and I had found our section in the Humane Society. Puppies!!!!

I fell in love with him right away. He was sound asleep and snoring. With all this activity around, me, looking at him through the cage, with my nose about two inches from his snout, and, he was SNORING!!!! This is my dog, I said to myself. My dog! KMPFFFFFFFFFF, KMPFFFFFFFFF, KMPFFFFFFFFF, was coming from this creature; it totally cracked me up. I had fallen in love, instantly.

He was 4 months old, had a big chest, black, with a touch of brown thrown in. He didn?t look like any other puppy in the room because this dog weighed at least 25 pounds already. He was gonna be a big un. Part Rottweiler, although he really didn?t look like that breed to me, except for his chest. A big, expansive chest that any endurance horse would be proud to own.

I took him for a walk and he pulled so hard on the leash he knocked me off balance two or three times. It?s important to maintain one?s balance in a yard inundated with doggie poop. He wasn?t aggressive at all, but, had more energy than I had been used to with a dog. He was a sweetheart and I was bound and determined to make him mine. His name was Timmy.

Erica fell in love with this 3-month black and white pointer named Diamond. Diamond had the saddest looking face you ever did see; she looked like a depressed Bassett Hound, without the bags on her face. She was a heartbreaker. She was one-third the size of Timmy and, when we took them both for a walk in the ?get acquainted with your dog/cat? area of the shelter, my wife and I became concerned that Timmy might overwhelm shy and meek Diamond to death. They made an odd looking pair, with Timmy being the mighty, but, gentle, Hulk and, Diamond being the meek, timid, shy, sad looking female. I knew, together, Timmy and she would bond, and, Diamond would have a life time body guard. This was Karma, not just some weird coincidence. It was meant to be.

More, later