Re: [RC] [RC] Horses!!! stop with the height - Truman Prevatt

Actually I saw him several times. I also lived in Baltimore during his prime. That was also the home of his main jock, Chris Macrron. JH had all the things said about him that I mentioned. He is calf kneed. His conformation is not all that good. His breeding is not "what produces great TB's."  Bur for some reason he just kept winning and winning.

Actually gelding didn't solve the disposition problem. He got the name John Henry - steel driving man - after he beat his feed bucket into the ground after he was gelded. He ran Macarron out of his paddock at Kentucky Horse Park at the ripe old age of 27.

He was a great horse - one that the experts said should be dog meat.

Truman

heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
He had "very poor" breeding. His conformation wasn't good - nope he'll
never hold up. He should have been dog food according to the "experts."
 But he wasn't and he kept winning and winning and winning.

Truman, did you ever SEE John Henry??  I was lucky enough to meet him as
an old fellow.  He was a VERY well-balanced horse!  So well-balanced that
I honestly don't recall if he had leg faults or not.  But if he did, it is
one of those cases where people think "conformation" ends at the
knees--when in fact, the most important aspect of it is a biomechanically
proportional body!  He also was not abnormally large or small for his
breed.

Furthermore, the reason that the "experts" didn't think he would run worth
a damn had nothing to do with conformation or breeding--it had to do with
the fact that he was a rogue until he was gelded.  He was just about
impossible to run as a young horse when he was intact because of his
disposition.  Gelding him solved the problem, and the rest is history.

Heidi

--
"It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis

   "It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis.

    It is necessary to be exalted, and yet take modesty as a foundation."