Re: [RC] [RC] Horses!!! stop with the height - heidi

<pout>

I realize I don't breed as many horses as you or Maria, but I do
consider myself a very small-scale CMK breeder.

<g>  Sorry, Nicole....  After I wrote that and hit "send" I remembered
that you had chimed in as well.  Chalk it up to post-surgical haze here...
;-)

BTW, I will presume that some of my comments about substance and
height and such might be considered "mean" if people don't know
me or read things and tone into my messages that aren't there or
are not intended. But, those that know me would read a line I
know I put in at least one of my messages: I consider height, in
and of itself, to be pretty darn unimportant one way or the
other.  If I joke about the "16H" Arabians that's because the
majority of them are nowhere near 16H, not because I'm saying 16H
 Arabians are "bad" just because they're tall.  Read what you
want into that.

Therein lies an important message--folks who WANT to get into a huff can
read purt-near anything into a message that they want to, no matter how
matter-of-fact and frank one tries to be.  Unless specific people prove
otherwise by repeated slamming, I always try to make it a policy to assume
that the poster intends the message in the most positive possible sense.
That is the case with the vast majority of folks here on RC--which is what
makes it a good list, even when it gets a bit opinionated.

As for those who say that those who like tall horses don't put
down the shorter horses, you have got to be kidding.  "Bigger is
better" is a common theme and shorter horses -- including those
smack dab in the middle of the breed standard, so by no means
short for the breed -- are constantly bashed, appologized for,
lied about, etc etc etc.

Amen!  The continual reference to horses that are smack-dab in the middle
of the breed range (or even on the larger end of it) as "small" coupled
with other put-downs is pretty much the norm.  If it weren't, there
wouldn't be such a trend for people to exaggerate their horses' heights!
"Small" Arabs likely start somewhere under 14 hands...

And for the comment that people who like short horses happen to
breed short horses.  Well, duh.  We're not saying we like them
because we breed them, we breed them because we like them. And,
as several of us have said, some of our own horses are actually
taller than our *personal* preferences.  That's because height
just isn't a selection criteria some of us worry about.

Your last sentence is the real bottom line here.  If one breeds BALANCED
horses, one will occasionally get bigger ones and smaller ones--but they
will tend toward the mid-range, on average.  That's just how it works...

Heidi